Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Next Doctor

If you could see my mind at work, cleaning, it's this crazed thing that goes at about a million miles per hour.  It composes stories about my book characters and writes blog posts.  Seriously, if I could dictate my blogs while vacuuming, I'd be constantly posting.  I mean, there is SO MUCH I want to post about.

But, really, I mean, considering all that's happening, I think the best topic for me to post about right now is Doctor Who.






Eleven
In case you haven't heard, Matt Smith is leaving his role as the Eleventh Doctor after the Christmas special. So, of course, the Internet has exploded with it's suppositions on who the next Doctor will be, and their opinions on who it should be, and all that sort of good stuff.  Unless they tell us who it's going to be, for the next six and a half months, every Whovian will be posting who they believe the next actor to lead them through all of time and space should be.  So, here we go, my opinions on the Doctor Who change.

Ten
Nine
First of all, I don't want it to be someone from Harry Potter, especially not one of the main characters.  Yes, upon regenerating into Ten and Eleven, the Doctor whined about not being ginger, but just because he whined about that, does not mean it must be Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley).  My number one reason for this is because of the way the fandoms tend to connect roles played by actors and pretend that the characters are all one person.  I mean, if we already get stuff about how David Tennant played both Barty Crouch, Jr. and the Doctor, imagine how much worse it would be if someone who was in a larger role in more than one movie.  Yeah, PLEASE, don't use a main character  from Harry Potter.  I mean, if it was someone who was in one tiny scene or one film (I know Britain doesn't have a kajillion actors.), then I won't complain, but please don't use a main character.

Eight
Seven
Actually, you know, preferably, make it be someone who no one really knows.  That way he can seem like the Doctor to me, and not like another actor.  I mean, yes, Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston are amazing and all, but let's face it:  Bumpercrop Cabbagepatch is in Sherlock, and if that show goes on hiatus again, we will go (more) insane, and if Doctor Who has to go on hiatus because Hiddles is filming for Marvel, then the Whovians will probably just curl up into little balls on the couch and replicate everything the Sherlockians have been doing for the past year and a half or whatever.  Sometimes, I wonder how people survived the eighteen month Doctor Who hiatus of the 1980's.  Anyway, please, BBC, in the highly unlikely event you run into my blog, please choose someone who I'm not really aware exists.  I mean, yes, maybe it'll be someone who I've heard of--you know, maybe they played an elf in the background of The Lord of the Rings--but for all that's wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey, please don't choose anyone that a ton of people know.

Six
Five
I don't know what the ratio of opinions are on the Doctor regenerating into a girl for the first time to him remaining a guy, but I personally want him to remain as a guy.  I mean, yes, we live in a world nowadays where girls can do anything, and, yes, Time Lords can change their gender upon regenerating, but I want us to think for a minute.  How often does the whole girl-doing-adventures-without-a-man-at-her-side happen?  They'd have her pick up a male companion so they can continue the romance theme that's been going on since the days of the Eighth Doctor, and he'd still have to rescue her at times.  I mean, yes, the Doctor is occasionally rescued by his female companions, but rarely does a movie or TV show in which the girl is the action hero and the guy is just the follower actually work.  Even in Mulan, Captain Shang is just as brave as Mulan, and he does a lot of fighting too, right at her side.  To have a female Doctor with a male companion would seriously degrade the manliness of the companion, and since Doctor Who guy companions can typically kick butt anyway, it would just end up being like a time travel Mulan.




Four
Three
I want this Doctor to be older than Matt Smith.  I mean, having the Doctor look so young (Matt was twenty-seven when he took on the role.) has been great for one Doctor, but I want him to regenerate into someone older.  I'm not saying I want someone in their sixties.  Maybe someone in their forties--just someone more mature.  I loved the friendship Ten and Donna, and I think that (although no one can ever be exactly like Catherine Tate) I'd be totally on board with another companion who just want to be friends with the Doctor and travel.  No kissing, no romance--just the companion and the Doctor traveling through time and space, saving planets and races


Two

One
Finally, I want the next Doctor to be someone who's been a fan of the show.  David Tennant's enthusiasm and fanboy-ness will obviously never be equaled by anyone, but knowing that the person playing the Doctor has watched the show, and knows the original run and the current run and is a fan of the show would just make it so much better because you know this person loves playing the Doctor, knows about the Doctor's past, and wants the Doctor he plays to be an obvious continuation of the man he has always been because no matter who the Doctor is played by--no matter what he looks like--no matter what his personality is--he's still the same man.  He's still the madman who stole a time machine and ran away.  He's still lost so much and seen so much than we can ever imagine.  He's still fire and ice; he still burns at the center of time and feels the turn of the universe.  He's still what Daleks and Cyberman and Sontarans fear because of every black day he ever stopped them.  He's the Oncoming Storm, the Destroyer of Worlds.  No matter what, he is the Doctor.  And a true fan will know that and do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment