Thursday, April 18, 2013

Packer Season Is Year Round

WOO-HOO!  GREEN BAY PACKERS 2013 SCHEDULE RELEASED!  :D :D :D

Okay, I got that out of my system.

Man, who am I kidding?

GO PACK GO!  GO PACK GO!  GO PACK GO!  GO PACK GO!  GREEN AND GOLD ALL THE WAY!







Now that any readers from Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, and Dallas have x-ed out (or are alternatively posting a choicely-worded comment down below), I can continue freely.

Also, San Francisco fans may want to leave because I am about to swear my vengeance upon you during the first game of the season.

We don't forget losses easily around here.


Okay, that was it.  I hope you were able to handle it.  Besides, it's too early in the season to start all the threats.  I'll save them mainly for the day of.

"Excuse me, Katrina, the season hasn't started yet."

The season started the morning after the Super Bowl, and all naysayers need to reconsider their dedication to football.

"Isn't it a bit obsessive?"

You're talking to a member of the football fanbase who believes its completely normal to wear giant foam cheese wedges.
Real men wear cheese.
 I mean, come on, Packers fans are the only people on planet earth who believe the term "cheesehead" is a compliment.

You're also talking to a member of the fan base who sees the guys who stand around with nothing but paint between themselves and the elements of the frozen tundra as the most heroic idiots on planet earth.

So, like many Packer fans, I've never actually been to a game.  This is because there's a thirty-five-year-long waiting list for season tickets, and I'm not lucky enough to know someone who will part with their tickets for a game.  My parents are Packers owners, though.  Yep, they got Packers stock for Christmas a couple years back.
Ah, the pieces of paper that make the Packers unique in the world of football.  The thousands of owners who have been buying stock since 1923, thereby funding the team, even though the stocks bring no benefit to them other than providing us with good players and stadium improvements.

We are the Packers.  I mean, some people think I'm crazy for saying, "we" when talking about the Packers, but that really is how I feel about the team.  Maybe I don't own a single piece of stock; I'm certainly not on the team (I'm female and far too small.); and I certainly am not one of the coaches, managers, etc.  Nonetheless, "we" are the Packers.  "We" being every fan.  Without the fans, there is no team.  Hence the reason why in the world there's still a football team in Green Bay.  They can't leave.  The owners would never agree to it.  I mean, imagine convincing thousands of people all over the world to let their team move to a new location.  We'd bring back Reggie White from the dead to tackle you down and have Mason Crosby kick you through the posts.  That is, if you make it through the posts.  Otherwise, you just might bang around painfully on the posts.  Either way, you're not moving our team.  And if you even think of buying our team...I don't think you'd want to try to take our stock away from us.

Anyway, I mean, let's face it, for me, each new football season begins the morning after the Super Bowl ends.  It's a fresh new start to the football year.

And, trust me, I have the newscasters on my side.  I'm from the state where the Packers can be squeezed into the news somehow every night:
Cancer awareness?  Throw in a Packer.
Celebrities meeting ordinary people?  It's Wisconsin.  We don't have any other celebrities besides sports people.
Nothing good happening in sports?  Talk about the Packers upcoming season/retiring Packers.
Boston bombing?  Find random picture of former Packer and show it.
Major disaster?  There's probably a Packer/former Packer who helped.
Commercial break?  Probably a Packer endorsement/reference to the Packers in there somewhere

I mean, the Green Bay Packers are something you cannot escape in this state, and I love it!  Call us obsessed and crazy, but Packers season never ends in Wisconsin.  We go straight from post-season to pre-season.

Maybe some other teams are going to claim to be just as obsessed as Packer fans, but we're the fans who will pay $250 for a piece of paper.  And not a paper that has Curly Lambeau's signature on it from 1919.  No, we'll pay $250 for a piece of paper that was printed yesterday just to be able to say, "I own the team.  I probably paid for Aaron Rodgers' new jersey."  With my luck, I probably paid for a urinal in the nosebleed section.  But, come on, even if you're in the nosebleed section, you made it to Lambeau.
The best football stadium on earth
How can you mess with a fan base who cheers year round, owns their team, is willing to freeze for them, and actually wants a player to jump on them and spill their beverage?
This is what happiness looks like.

So, yeah, there we go, my first post about the Packers this year.

I was originally planning to do a historical post about Paul Revere's midnight ride today, but then the NFL schedules were released, so I had to "regrettably" change my mind and post about the Green Bay Packers instead.

BECAUSE THEY ARE AWESOME!
GO PACK GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment